<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, September 30, 2004

Don't Forget Concessions

As an avid sports fan (baseball - Yankees, football - Dolphins, basketball - UCONN, UCONN alum and college football - UCONN), my initial reaction is always, "Tough tooty. If people would pay to watch ice skating, then it'd be subsidized."

That usually suffices to assuage any cognitive dissonace I may experience from exploring issues such as net gains to the community and whether a new stadium is really necessary. (I don't work for a big firm that would throw away, I mean, buy luxury box seating.)

All told, I'd come down on the side of not building a new stadium as I told the pollster when asked about the Jets West Side stadium.

Not that I am against new stadia per se just that I don't see any reason why a new one is necessary.

Back to the title of this post. After getting the local gov't to use tax revenue to build the stadium, the new owners then charge exhorbitant concession prices to boot.

At the first UCONN football game at Rentschler Field last season, I sarcastically quipped that the concession prices were right out of Madison Square Garden. After the game, I picked up a flyer regarding tailgating rules, and read, to my surprise, that the concessions were provided by a firm associated with....Madison Square Garden!!!!

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?